Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Out of Place at the film fest, can check that off my list now.

So because my film is screening on Saturday when I'll be on a film shoot, I will not be able to be at my own screening at the Portland Film Fest.  I talked my husband into going down to the opening night events tonight and maybe have a few drinks, and perhaps mingle since it might be important for my career.

We head down there and the streets were packed with cars but we lucked out with a close parking spot. NW 21st was shut down and they had acrobats in the street performing. They even had the red carpet set up.  I had been told to pick up my passes and packet at will call. So we fumbled around for a minute and went over to the will call line. They didn't have my name on the list but they hand wrote our passes. When it was our turn to get photos taken on the red carpet the lady said "You can just walk through" 

"I'm a filmmaker I want to get our photos taken" 

"Well if you want to. " She said... awkward but we did anyway. 
*this is me just after we got back

Then Jay Cornelius, the Program Director and a former instructor of mine,  who is turning out to be quite kind said "they're filmmakers" and waved towards us.  I doubt the red carpet photo turned out well but I am hopeful for a miracle. It occurred to me later that perhaps they just want photos of the young and beautiful (and thin - weighing in at a hefty 180 = that I am not). Then I saw a few people that I vaguely knew but don't really care for and we didn't say hi. This worsens that awkward feeling.  I also saw one acquaintance that seemed busy and I felt too shy to say hi, yet again deepening awkwardness.
He wasn't actually sleeping he must have blinked :)

When we entered the theater one sweet friend of mine Katie Palmer a local costume designer recognized me and said hi, so that helped a little. 

We saw 2 short films and one feature length documentary. If you've read my blog then you know I am an accidental film snob.For the first film I applaud the effort they were attempting. It was called Pas De Restes, its about a wealthy family coming to a restaurant that requires you to finish every bit on your plate. In the menu are photos of starving children in 3rd world countries. The family proceeds to over order, but the Father figure gluttonously over orders and is forced to finish his food at gunpoint.   It was sort of funny and does make you think, but crossed the line to stupid in the end, with the use of loud diarrhea noises. However, like I said I applaud the effort.

There was another short that was sort of cute called Bless You and it was a few minutes long had nice cinema photography but was mostly a visual effects piece.

And Lastly was the Feature Documentary entitled "Without a Net" .. Enrique rapidly fell asleep, and I had to squeeze his hand when his snoring got audible.  I was editing it the whole time in my mind. There were a few cleverly edited parts but I kept thinking cut that, move that,  keep this, cut that, keep this, move that.  Perhaps for someone who has never lived in or been to Latin America it would have been more engrossing. For me it was ok. I'd already seen these types of circuses perform in Mexico several times. The concept was good that it was about keeping as risk youth out of trouble but I've already volunteered filming services to the local Circus Project and was thinking you don't have to go to South America for that story.

You see - Film Snob.

After that we walk out of there and we see Katy and chat for a moment and I cross the street to where the after party was to be and peak through the windows. I didn't see the free appetizers and there was a long line for drinks which I had heard were not free, so .... we came home. Why torture myself more right?

So I can check that off my list. Red carpet photo, check, film fest, check.

The next film festival I go to will be when my film is screening or someone that I know or worked on. It's too hard for me to fumble around and feel awkward. Why do that to myself. Right?