Monday, November 21, 2011

Simvastatin, weight gain and acne/rash

Update on weight gain. Its been about 2 to 2 1/2 months since I stopped taking Simvastatin and I now have lost 10 lbs without changing my eating habits.  I am not certain that Simvastatin causes weight gain, however I am certain it prevents weight loss. Since I was up to 183 and now I am at 172 with no change to my eating habits and minimal change to my exercise habits.

Another issue, since I started taking Simvastatin in May of 2010 I noticed everytime I would miss a few days of the medicine I would break out in acne and/or rash on my shoulders and sometimes face. Now that I've been off of the Simvastatin for over 2 months the rash has gone away and my normal (pre Simvastatin) skin is back. I have always had some problems with Acne but no huge rash.  The rash was very stressful and  upsetting. it was as if every cell was inflamed on my shoulders.