Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Does Simvastatin cause weight gain?

Since the stroke in May of 2010, my doctor put me on simvastatin a medicine which lowers cholesterol. Now this medicine did help to lower cholesterol and the other medicines have enabled me to live a normal life.  But I noticed that I gained 15+ lbs since I started college. Now I'm wondering if the whole time the weight gain was because of the Simvastatin.  I'm saying that because I've been off of it for about 3 weeks and I've lost 8 lbs without trying, I'm doing the exact same thing that I've been doing since I started taking it. Which is barely eating half the time.  So... does it cause weight gain?  I personally think it did. I'm hoping to get down to my normal weight of 160ish. Of course i'd like to be thinner, but I've been at a terribly high 180 to 182 for awhile now - so at this point my normal weight would be great, and I could not for the life of me figure out why I was gaining. I'm thinking now it must have been the Simvastatin.  If I google it all I can find is that there is no conclusive evidence that it causes weight gain. What a crock. I get the feeling that unless 50% or more of people have a certain reaction they say there is no conclusive evidence..

*** update/well, I'm not sure but I gained a few pounds back so maybe  it was just a coincidence... we will see, if my weight gradually goes lower and lower I will know.  I was also taking amlodipine with simvastatin so it is good I quit because there are new studies that show the combination is not good.