Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Open Mic on the bus

Actually written on January 14th, 2009

For 5 pesos and 50 cents, equivalent like 40 cents US you not only get a bumpy bus ride with all sorts of characters, in Mexico it is open Mic.

This is an amusing fact that up until today I had realized most people don’t know if they don’t ride the bus.

So today the clowns came on the bus bursting my meditative state of mind where I was trying to envision love towards all people.

They looked off for some reason. Something not quite right about them.

There were several children of various ages, dressed in their uniforms on the bus this morning. I wondered of the motives of these clowns. Are they just looking for the free ride and tips for entertaining the bus.

They started their routine, which was loud and obnoxious and then I heard them referring to jokes about sex and marijuana. I was very put off and thankful when they were getting off the bus. Don’t get me wrong, I love jokes about Sex, drugs, and rock and roll. I was a teenager in the 80’s so bring it on! Sex is truly one of my favorite subjects to talk about, but with the children on the bus, who were surely able to understand even more clearly than I could. I did not approve. I thought it was unethical and upsetting frankly. When they asked for their tip I did not tip.

So after they got off the bus I tried to shift my thinking back into where my soul was before the rude awakening into my meditative state.

I saw a guitarist about to get on the bus. I was trying to get back to my positive state and fighting it, because the quality of the music performances can vary dramatically from absolute crap and not too bad to wow that was awesome, bravo!

So anyway, this guy gets on and I’m trying to think positive, think positive, think positive. And he stands in the middle of the bus with his legs in warrior position for balance, he has some wooden flutes tied around his neck and an acoustic guitar in his hands. And he starts to play, and it was so beautiful. You know my ipod isn’t working again, and he really was quite an accomplished musician. He was very good and balancing on a rickety bumpy bus ride. For some reason I was thrown back to the days when I would go to the flea market way back in the day on Wednesday in the 80’s with my dad and there was the ONE-MAN-BAND!

I just want to say thank you music man, Kudos, and thank you universe for stickin-wit-me!