Sunday, November 9, 2008

Why did we move to Mexico You Ask? and What I have learned so far.


This article was originally written on September 15, 2007


Recap... Last year (2006) around may or so we started talking about moving to Mexico. Around July we made our mind up for sure....We sold our house and left for Mexico 4/5/07. We've been here in Puerto Vallarta 3 months...


In reality we ALL KNOW that these kinds of decision are not black and white. They are not motivated by only one reason....I must say a hundred things fuled this decision. I'll list what I can think of right now.


1. My In laws never having met my children. or vs. versa...
2. Not being able to comfortably afford our 5 bed 3 ba. house we were buying.
3. Wanting to spend more time together as a family. Since Enrique was having to work 6 days a week to not even make enough to cover the bills... he was always too tired to do anything...
4. Wanting to shake things up.
5. Wanting some inspiration.
6. Wanting to see what our relationship is made of.
7. Wanting to travel.
8. Wanting Enrique to not feel illegal.
9. For Fun
10. a quest... to expand my theories on the meaning of life.
11. Adventure
12. Just why the heck not....
13. Tired of everyday feeling the same...
14. Putting my beliefs into practice. If I believe that anything is possible. Bring it on.
15. I wanted to have someone who could take the kids so Enrique and I could go on dates....
16. I sorta felt like an orphan anyway. With my mom in the hospital and seeing my brother only a few times a year. And, my dad having passed away in 99... No close cousins... Yes, I felt like an orphan.
17. I feel like Teal is old enough to handle all this and it will be REALLY cool for him to come visit me...
umm. Well you get the point...

Here are the things I've learned so far.


1. Being on vacation is a TON of work. It's just like real life.... lol and you HAVE TO make time to go to the beach, etc..... everything is still all there....laundry.. dishes... etc.


2. Being on family time all the time is actually more work than when Enrique worked all the time...Because there is no one to take the kids and we never go anywhere seperately. I don't have the kids on the same kind of schedule as before, where i would clean and cook at certain times of the day...


3. I don't have any personal time. And I miss having time alone during nap time etc....

4. One of the things I was looking for I found before I left.... When all my friends and family knew that we would be moving they wanted to spend time with me before I left... And those times were some of the best times I've had in years. Now I miss those times.... I kept having the excuse.. Well we are going to go do THIS or do THAT because I don't know how long it will be till we can see each other again.


If I didn't leave WOULD we have done those things...? Would it have been so important.. ? Who knows.. But it was a blast.....


5. Enrique and I still never spend any time on dates. We went out 1 time while Teal was here in July.

6. Enrique and I still disagree on the importance of puting time together alone as a priority in a family. He thinks we had kids so we should always be with our kids. I believe if you don't invest in keeping fun and passion in the mariage by going on dates etc. there won't be a marriage.


7. My mother needs me there. I DO have family. People actually Miss me...

8. I miss having friends TREMENDOUSLY. I miss the times partying and dancing... I miss having someone to tell when I don't feel happy. (which I am pretty secretive about this but sometimes... I'm sad and I need someone to talk to) Since My dad died I didnt' really have anyone to tell on a normal basis if I was feeling blah... Or sometimes.. I am just blah. and I try to seclude myelf when I am blah. but I miss having friends to talk to. Actually, I miss that when I WORKED with friends and I would see them everyday and then if you felt blah... they would just walk by and KNOW... So I guess that part is more about working outside the home....

9. I'm really attached to Enrique's siblings and cousins back in Portland.... The other day on webcam I was so so so so so so happy to see all of Enrique's family together.. It was for the purpose of Maria (my mother in law) to see them but I was very happy to see them too.


10. I JUST want to see some people I know....I never really even knew Josephina, Enrique's cousin that well but I was dying just to see her face in El Alto - Enrique's town... because I had seen her in Portland before and ...It felt like I sorta knew her... Just grasping for someone that I knew.


11. I feel like I don't want to go back to the US permanently until Enrique and I can FREELY fly back and forth. With his parents getting older and I care for them SOO much. That I don't want to hear on the phone that they are not doing well and not be able to visit them. Someday that will happen. No one is immortal.

12. I can adjust to just about any living situation, but as I already knew.. I HAVE TO HAVE MY OWN SPACE....


13. I thought Mexico would be soo differnet but here at night when we are just chilling in the house the only thing that is different is there isn't wall to wall carpeting in the bedroom, and it is hot all the time.... Other than that... we have or can find just about everything we want...


14. How can we go back to not living in warm weather again.... and not living by the beach.... but I do miss the pine trees. absence of Mosquito's. using a blanket when I sleep. And well maintained parks... sane drivers... probably more, but that is all for now.